Why Toronto Business Academy?
Do you see yourself as an entrepreneur with a great business idea, but you don’t know how to start and bring it to life? Are you a business innovator with entrepreneurial skills who is still searching for your dream job position? In both cases Toronto Business Academy is an excellent springboard for you. With a combination of interactive lectures focusing on entrepreneurship and international business and guest speakers, mentors and coaches who are leaders in Canadian industry, you will be able to develop practical business skills you will need to start up your career. Want to learn how to develop and pitch your business idea in front of real investors? Or maybe are you interested in experiencing the everyday business environment of successful companies like Twitter, Linkedin, Toronto Stock Exchange…?
Studying and living in the heart of the city of Toronto, experiencing Ryerson student campus, playing sports or meeting new international students will be your everyday life.
If you have your own idea, or you would like to develop the idea with your new international team, you will know how to pitch it in front of the investors at the end of the program.
An investment in knowledge is an investment in yourself. The program will provide an important intellectual treasure that will stay with you for the rest of your life!
Participating in an international summer program boosts your employment because it means that you are willing to get out of your comfort zone to learn more.
You will have the opportunity to meet like-minded, success-driven individuals from all over the world. You will gain friendships for life or perhaps find a potential business partner.
Unlike regular summer business schools, participating in Toronto Business Academy teaches you how to function efficiently in a dynamic, fast-changing International business environment.
Throughout the summer program, you will work on different market cases that aim to improve your analytical and leadership skills. However, the whole program revolves around a core strategic learning task: Business plan competition. Yes, you will have the opportunity to devise and develop a unique business plan for your breakthrough idea! In small groups, you will go through and learn all the steps from market analysis to financial plans and strategy that lead to an excellent business plan. Finally, you pitch your plan to potential investors and leaders in the Canadian industry, who in this case has the role of judges.
Our summer business academy in Toronto gives you the opportunity to gain insights into the functioning of the highly competitive North American market. Besides learning about the business environment, you will have a chance to visit some of the world’s largest companies like Twitter, BMO, LinkedIn, Toronto Stock Exchange etc.
Are you up for some fun? Of course, we will give you some space to play hard after you work hard! You will be located on campus in downtown Toronto, so you will get to experience student life “the American way”. Besides, the program schedule is designed to give you plenty of time for fun adventures, getting to know the largest Canadian city and its vibrant nightlife. We will also go to Niagara Falls for a day because there is no better way to relax after long days of working on your business plan!
Duration: 21 days
Program language: English
Dates: 14th of July – 3rd of August 2019
Discounted Tuition Fee:
1.950,00€ 1.350,00€ (EUR)+ HST (13%) / Christmas special discount!
Course name: New Business Development
Class size: 40 students
Credits: 6 ECTS
Length: 60 hours
Lectures: 40 hours
- Canadian business culture overview
- Lectures supporting Business plan
- Business plan development
- Consultations on the Business plan
- Business plan pitch preparation & Pitching
- Case studies
Corporate visits & Guest speakers: 20 hours
- Startup summit
- Guest speakers
- Corporate visits
The course is designed to improve managerial practices with entrepreneurial thinking. To be able to think like an entrepreneur, one must be able to understand: the types, characteristics, skills and strategies that entrepreneurs use in starting, building and scaling an enterprise. But entrepreneurs do not live in isolation; they must understand their role within the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and know where support and partnerships can be made to sustain and finance growth.
The objectives of this course are to leverage the Canadian business culture of innovation and international resources to help individuals prepare to understand the role of entrepreneurs and to assist them in starting and successfully operating their own businesses. The focus is entrepreneurial start-ups, the process of start-ups, their ecosystem and what is required to develop management plans to take ideas to national and international markets.
- Conceptualise the scope of global entrepreneurship and how it has evolved.
- Understand the differences between the basic types of entrepreneurs and conduct a self-analysis.
- See how economic resources have determined the changes in entrepreneurs on the global scale.
- Understand the role and scope of entrepreneurship in economic development on the global scale.
- Better understand why many start-up firms fail and the lessons learned.
- Understand the ‘new’ skills required to be successful in entrepreneurship.
- Realize there is a process involved in building a successful small business and its steps.
- Understand the key concepts and frameworks of innovation and innovation management.
- Better understand its importance in economic development.
- Be able to identify and define the various types of innovation and determinants of their success.
- Map out an innovation eco-system.
- Understand the value of the creative process in innovation planning.
- Understand the importance of team work and see its relevance for survival.
- Obtain a better understanding of today’s global information society.
- Practice various forms of interactional, situational and functional communications.
- Practice various forms of report writing and oral presentation from a North American perspective.
- Understand the importance of clear, concise and complete communications to raising capital.
- Define your value proposition and unique competitive advantage.
- Develop a ‘go-to-market’ strategy for the short- and long-term.
- Understand some of the ‘off-the-shelf’ communications available to SME start-ups.
- Build and leverage a toolkit to launch a successful marketing plan.
- Develop various communications assets aligned with your strategy.
- Understand the differences and similarities in raising capital globally.
- Conceptualise the stages of business development and opportunities to raise capital at these stages.
- Define the differences and segments of informal and formal capital.
- Understand the basics criteria of small business loans versus angel investment vs. venture capital.
- Identify the expectations of angel investors and what they look for in a typical business presentation.
Guest speakers that you will have the opportunity to hear, come from different industries, like banking, law, accounting, entrepreneurship, etc... They will share with you their own success stories, which will give you an insight into the real situation on a today’s competitive market. It is not always easy, and you will that see everybody gets caught in the obstacles sometimes. It is important to be persistent and not to give up. Taking part in the Toronto Business Academy offers you also this unique opportunity to network with leaders in the Canadian industry.
Business Plan Competition
Have you ever wondered if you have what it takes to succeed in an increasingly competitive global marketplace? Do you want to be a successful entrepreneur? Do you know that an idea itself is not enough? If you have answered 'Yes' to previous questions, then you’ve come to the right place. The Toronto Business Academy Business plan competition is designed to give you a real world experience to develop your business ideas under advice of experienced international business mentors. Judges will evaluate your team as real world entrepreneurs soliciting startup funds from early stage investors. Mimicking the real world competitive market sphere, your team will compete against other brilliant business ideas in the preliminary round of pitches. Your business plan will go through a complete overall feedback session with the judges. From here on, you will have the time to polish your business idea and, on the last day, you will pitch again. The judges will rank the best 3 pitches and of course they will select a winner as well!
Ever wondered how to succeed in a highly competitive market? Experience it first hand by taking a walk through everyday business of successful corporations. Corporate visits are one of the most valuable experiences which give you a real world insight into various industries. This kind of visits offer you a once-in-a-lifetime learning experience where you have the opportunity to walk around the offices of large, world-renowned companies and business giants. You will have the opportunity to listen to the presentations of professionals who are crucial for the functioning of these companies. This way, you get to learn about day-to-day operations as well as operations related to long-term business and market strategies.
Tuition Fee & Dates
- 21 days
- Program language:
- 14th of July – 3rd of August 2019
Applications for 2019 are open!
What is included in the Tuition Fee?
Accommodation, welcome package, lectures, course material, networking events, seminars and corporate visits, certificate of completion, 24/7 assistance from our coordinators, exclusive access to our Alumni network, possibility to become part of our team, 1-day trip to Niagara Falls and an experience that you will remember for the rest of your life!
Breakfast package – 170,00€ (EUR)+ HST (13%)
Breakfast package includes everyday meals, available from 7:30 AM to 10:00 AM daily, served buffet style. Self-service breakfast includes a choice of fresh juice, yogurt, cereal, hot breakfast, eggs, ham, pastry, fruit, and coffee or tea.
- Different discounts are not cumulative.
- A Registration Fee of 100,00€ + TAX must be paid upon confirmation from the ABC Business Academy about your participation. This amount is non-refundable and will be deducted from your Tuition Fee.
General Academic partner
The HDBW – Hochschule der Bayerischen Wirtschaft is a private, state-approved university for applied sciences with a focus on business and technology, based in Munich as well as in study centers in Bamberg and Traunstein. In close cooperation with Bavarian and international companies, HDBW offers business-oriented Bachelor and Master’s Degree programs.
The ABC Business Academy is authorized to organize the course accredited at the HDBW, and meets all the requirements of an academically recognized subject of the Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree.
350 Victoria St, Toronto, ON M5B 2K3, Canada
Being the most populated city in Canada with over 2, 8 million inhabitants, Toronto is still growing and becoming a real cosmopolitan city. With over 100 different nationalities coming together in one place, Toronto is proud to be called one of the most ethnically diverse cities. Despite the differences, this is the city that knows how to use them in a good way, creating a competitive and globally-orientated environment. Unlike other big cities, Toronto has perfectly united nature with business districts, offering a variety of possibilities for both during the week and the weekends. Encouraging innovation and start-ups, Toronto tech and entrepreneurial scene has boomed and created a fair competition with USA giants. Poised to become the next best producer of tech start-ups, Toronto is working hard to attract entrepreneurs and open-minded businessmen.
Participants are accommodated in a single-dorm style rooms at the Ryerson University, in particular, in Pitman Hall Residence – a 5-minute walk from TRSM, where lectures are held. Located at the heart of downtown Toronto, the location reflects the vibrant, diverse and ever-changing atmosphere of Canada’s largest and most vibrant city. The university is located close to some of Toronto’s attractions, such as the CN Tower, The Rogers Centre, Air Canada Centre, The Hockey Hall of Fame, world class restaurants, the Metro Zoo, various museums, shops on Queen & King street, Eaton Centre, Bay & Yonge Street, areas with pubs and clubs, as well as Toronto’s island.
Want to know more?
Visit our media library and check out testimonials, location presentations and much more.